Friday, February 27, 2009

RaKu!!

Some friends from work are into Raku and I got to see the process on the 22nd of February. My mom and I got to paint beads that had already been fired once then we got to see them go through the process of getting fired again. I found this page: Raku on Wiki.

Here are our beautifully painted beads!


This is a rack one of them made to fire the beads


Firing with propane! After it is done firing they put the stuff in a garbage can filled with newspaper. While the pottery is in the garbage can they put wet towels over it to prevent the fire department from being called.







Our beads!

I am very thankful they let my mom and I keep the beads! After they are all cooled off we are supposed to scrub them to make them look pretty. I have yet to do that though. As soon as I do I will post a picture.




More Raku that is done firing...off to the garbage can!




Another round being prepared for firing.






A very interesting pot that just got done with the firing and garbage can process.



Yet another piece. I think this is awesome and it reminds me of Edvard Munch's "The Scream"

Here is a table that was inside the studio that I thought was awesome. I don't think the table and the skull part really go together. I don't remember if they were one unit or not. I think the skull part would look awesome hanging on the wall. It reminded me of the "Day of the Dead" style skulls/skeletons.



No comments: